Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Rough Draft #1, Prompt #2, Biweekly #2

Hey Everyone! Welcome back! Today I'm going to be writing my second Biweekly post. It's the second prompt to my Personal Statement from my first Biweekly. So I hope you guys can help me cut it!

Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?
                I was in middle school when I first volunteered at a clinic. I remember being shy and quiet when I first got there. I didn't know anyone and they were all older than me. Well, not everyone. There was also a little boy who was 3 years younger than me and he was also volunteering there. So after meeting him, I started to open up. I was 12 years old then. My aunt brought me to the clinic to get my community service hours done for my middle school graduation requirements. After the first couple of days working there, I started feeling comfortable. They gave me papers to copy and shred, envelopes and postcards to stamp, and the providers’ paychecks and mail to be delivered. I also helped to make packages for patients.

After a couple of weeks, my aunt brought me downstairs to their Medical Records. It was another new environment for me, so I became shy again. There were new faces to remember, and new names to memorize. They immediately greeted me with open arms. They taught me how to make new charts for patients, find charts and put them away, and where to deliver them. Delivering the charts was always my favorite part because it allowed me to wander around the clinic with a purpose. I’m just mesmerized by the busy clinic with all of the providers and nurses running around and helping the patients. After delivering the charts, I always returned to Medical Records with a smile. Seeing all of the providers and nurses helping with a smile makes me want to smile too.

It’s been 5 years since then. I’m now 17 years old, a senior in high school, and I still volunteer at the clinic. I’m proud of myself for helping out these 5 years. Volunteering is something I love to do because I gain many experiences and memories. I not only volunteer at the clinic during my breaks, but I also volunteer as a tutor after school. Tutoring kids gave me the experience in being able to handle kids and communicate with them. I also made great memories and I hope to continue making more.

                My enjoyment in volunteering has made me the person I am today because it has shaped my dream of wanting to be a nurse. I enjoy helping people and my workings with kids made me want to help and care for them too. So to reach my goal, I took a physiology class to enhance my knowledge of the body and how the body works. Each day, my teacher sparks my curiosity and my interest in learning about the body grows. My determination in wanting to help people grows with each day I learn about a new disorder and how there are no cures yet. I am proud of this part of me and I hope that I can one day achieve my dream in helping those in need.
Thanks for reading this guys! I hope you guys liked it! Feel free to leave ANY comments and it would be great if you can give me some advice or help me edit this. I'm pretty sure I went off topic, but it’s a first draft, it’s not going to be perfect. Well, hope to hear from you soon. Until then, see ya! 

No comments:

Post a Comment