Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rough Draft #1, Prompt #1, Biweekly #1 (UPDATED AS OF 9/28/11)


Hey Everyone! I just wanted to let you know that this is my first Biweekly and that I hope you guys can help me improve this Personal Statement. I am really bad at writing, especially essays, so don’t expect much. If you can cut some stuff from this, I would be really grateful. Just copy and paste the parts you want me to cut, and put it in my comments. Thanks!

Describe the world you come from – for example, your family, community or school – and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.
            My parents got divorced when I was young. When I moved to Alameda in 4th grade, I lost all of my friends in Oakland. I started to rely on my family for support. The person that has always encouraged me and became my role model was my aunt. She was always there when I needed help. I was at my grandparents’ house more than my own because my mom was always working. My dad was never around back then, so I turned to my aunt because my grandparents can only speak Chinese and my aunt was always there. She would help me with my homework sometimes, take me out to see a movie, and she always had junk food at her house.

            When I reached middle school, she was always busy with her own kids, but still helped me whenever she could. What made a big impact on my dreams and aspirations was my first day volunteering at Asian Health Services in Chinatown. She is a head nurse there and asked me if I wanted to go and volunteer there since I needed 20 community service hours to graduate middle school. It was the summer before 8th grade. At first I was shy, but as the days past, I began to feel comfortable there. I loved working there because when I finish with a job, I get a sense of accomplishment. I love the feeling of being able to help someone. It makes you feel good about yourself. Even though some days I only shredded paper, it still made me happy knowing I was able to help. I volunteered there for the whole summer and earned 170 hours of community service. And since then, I volunteered there every single day that I could.

            My second summer, the summer before high school, I started working in their Medical Records. I pulled charts, made new charts, and even got to deliver them to the different units of the clinic. During that summer, I decided I wanted to one day work in Medical Records too. But as I spent more time delivering charts in the clinic, I also watched the doctors and nurses who helped patients every day with a smile on their face. And that’s when I realized I wanted to be a nurse. Since that day, my aunt has been my role model because she was smart, helpful, kind, and she always had a smile on her face.

            My aunt inspired me to follow my dream of being a nurse. Just this last summer, I was able to shadow nurses as they take doctor’s orders and examined a patient. I watched them communicate with the patient and asked them questions to better figure out what was wrong. I watched a nurse do a pregnancy test. I also got to shadow my aunt as she was training an ex-tern. She was teaching her how to test for glucose, hemoglobin, and hemoglobin A1C. That summer was the best. I loved every minute of it.

            My aunt has inspired and helped me my whole life. She was there for me when I needed her, and she is the reason why I discovered my dream of being a nurse. She also encouraged me to take Physiology this year. At first I was scared of seeing a cadaver, but she assured me that I will be okay, and I believed her. I hope that one day I can be a nurse and help people.
Thanks for reading this and I hope you comment! Please come back later this week for my weekly posts! Until then, see ya!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Priscilla! I do see a few things to cut, but the easiest way for me to help you do that would be if you could share this draft with me as a google doc. Then I could do the cuts directly. :)

    On the other hand, one thing I do like about this essay is that there are some really DIRECT parts that get straight to the point and don't need much cutting. Have you already sliced out some stuff from this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not really...im not very good at cutting, especially my own papers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i shared this with you on google docs, but can you do the strike throughs so i can see what changes you made? thank you!

    ReplyDelete