Friday, March 12, 2010

The Journal Of Chloe Saunders (Part 3)


Hey everyone! I hope you liked part 2. Here’s part 3.

I regained my consciousness when I heard my father’s voice. I opened my eyes and there he was. He was kneeling at my bedside talking to aunt Lauren. He was holding my hands and it looked like he was crying. I realized the only other time I saw dad cry was when mom died.

I tried to listen to what they were talking about, but my head was spinning so much that it hurt. I was about to try and get closer so I could hear better when aunt Lauren saw me awake and rushed to hug me. When she finally let me go, dad gave me a big hug and told me how worried he was.

I said, “Dad, I’m fine. My head is just spinning.”

“It’s probably from the drugs they used to put you to sleep. We should tell the doctors that you’re awake.”

“Wait dad. What happened to me? I saw the boogey man illusions that I used to see as a kid, but I didn’t realize it until they drugged me. No one else saw what I saw.” I turned to aunt Lauren, “I thought this talisman was suppose to protect me. I thought it was suppose to stop the illusions. Why isn’t it working?”

I reached down to where my talisman was supposed to be hanging, but it wasn’t there. I looked down and panicked. “Where’s my talisman? Did I forget to where it today? Is that why I saw the illusions today? I thought for sure I put it on before I left for school.”

“Don’t worry sweetie. The doctors insisted on taking it off so it wouldn’t choke you if you started fighting the doctors. I have it right here.” She lifted her hand and there it was, dangling off its long gold chain.

I carefully took it, like it was a newborn baby. “I’m glad it’s safe. I don’t know what I’ll do without it. Thank you aunt Lauren.” I gave her a big hug and asked, “Can I wear it now?”

“Of course, and if anyone says no, I’ll give them a piece of my mind.”

I laughed because aunt Lauren was only four-feet and eleven-inches, but I knew better. She’s a black belt in martial arts. She can take care of herself.

“Can we please call the doctors now? I want to know if my baby girl is better,” said my worried father.

“OK dad, call the doctors if it will make you happy”

“That will most definitely make me happy,” he said on his way out the door in search of my doctor.

After my dad left, I took the time to examine my talisman. Why isn’t it working? I looked closer and saw that the red jewel is a lot darker than I remember. It looks like it’s going to turn blue.

I asked aunt Lauren, “Are you sure this is my talisman? It feels right in my hand, but when I look at it, it looks like it’s starting to turn blue.”

“I know for sure that is your talisman sweetie. I was the one who personally took it off of you when the doctors insisted that it must be taken off. I couldn’t let them touch your most precious possession. I have a heart you know.”

I started laughing.

“That’s your thanks for me saving your precious talisman from those creepy looking doctors? At least now I know where I stand in your life.”

We both looked at each other and started laughing.

At that moment, the doctors came in with my dad. One of them, Dr. Lee, said, “I can see she’s doing much better. Let me do a quick check-up first before we start talking about some things.

It was just the usual; he listened to my heart, my breathing, my reflexes, and passed the light over my eyes.

After we were done, he said, “We’re all done, you are completely healthy, now we can talk about that little incident earlier. Why don’t we all go to my office and settle down first?”

We followed him down a long hallway and went into the 5th door on the right. We sat down in the chairs and he began, “While you were unconscious, I had a talk with your dad and aunt. They said you used to see ghosts, or back then, the “boogey man illusions”, but it all ended when you received that necklace hanging around your neck. Now, out of nowhere, you start seeing them again, right? You think they are real, but then other people don’t see them. Am I correct so far?”

I nodded my head because my mouth was dry and I couldn’t find my voice.

“From what I know, these are all the symptoms for schizophrenia.”

I finally found my voice and said, “You think I have schizophrenia?”

The doctor nodded his head and said, “It’s not as bad as it seems. All you have to do is learn how to figure out if what you see is real or fake.”

“How do I do that?”

“There is a group home, Lyle House, that help children like you.”

I thought, “Yeah, crazy people like me.” I said, “I am not going to a group home, and that’s final. I’ll learn to deal with it on my own. All I want is to go back to my normal life.”

“I’m sorry Chloe, but if you don’t go, you will either have to live in the hospital until you get better, or you have to stay at home with a nurse following you at all times. You will also be home schooled. You can’t go back to school with your friends until you get better.”

I felt like my life was ruined. Oh wait, it is. I started to cry. My aunt asked, “Is there another way? She will be going to college in a few years. She was planning on applying to UCLA. She was really looking forward to it. We can’t just have her dreams end here.”

“Actually, Lyle House is a place where kids can go to get better and it won’t interfere with their studies or future plans. They take lessons for their special needs, then they will take lessens for their schooling. Their teachers will send in the notes and the homework for them. So they’re still learning the same things, just in a different environment. They also have someone there to help kids figure out where they want to go in the future. So you don’t have to worry about not getting accepted to the college of your choice. Lyle House makes sure they don’t say no because of your special needs. Does that help with your decision?”

I looked up and asked, “Is this my only option if I want to go to UCLA?”

“Yes.”

I thought about it, took a deep breath, and said, “Okay, I’ll go.”


That’s all I have for you guys this week. Come back next week to see how Chloe deals with her new roommates. Until then, see ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment